Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Being a designer?

Lately I have been feeling very frustrated with the work that I have been producing. There is not one piece that I really like. I have even been thinking about why I want to be a designer. Unfortunately I could not come up with a very good answer. I am double majoring in music and I suppose I would hope to incorporate the design into a music profession of some sort.
I think one of the main reasons that I am frustrated is because I don't know what my "forte" is yet. Like I mentioned earlier I attended Arizona State last year. The program there was so different because we were learning the "fundamentals" of design. In a way I would like to say that ruined me a little bit. When asked to create a composition, I am constantly worried about the measurements and whether it follows the "rules." I have also taken only one art class. As a result, I feel a little behind in terms of knowing myself as an artist. While people are being successful in their compositions, I am still playing around and learing what works. I guess I just need to step back and understand that that is why I am here.....

2 comments:

dierking said...

I can relate to you. :/ I have felt as though I am losing touch in this class. Maybe because it is so open ended??

Unknown said...

Just remember, to break the rules, you gotta know and understand what they are in the first place.