Tuesday, October 14, 2008

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
These are all the black and white compositions that I made.
This assignment was a little difficult for me. I transferred from Arizona State this year. At ASU, the design approach was extremely different. Everyone was to do the same project and really focus on simplicity, precision, and accuracy. Coming into this class and being asked to create a compostion with hardly any boundaries was a shock. I still notice myself thinking too much about whether mesurements are right etc. I have found that drawing by hand helps with forgetting this obbession.
1. This is a representation of a torn jean. I did not put this one up in class because I dont really like it. It is too obvious and predictable.
2. I enjoy this one, but it was also not put up in class. When I finished it, it reminded me too much of Martin Luther King.
3.I really like this one. I realize it is not exactly abstract but I was looking through a book and came across a picture of muscle. I think that muscles are beautiful in a complicated way. I enjoyed drawing this one however, as a composition, it doesnt really work.
4. This turned out much better than I would have hoped. I looked out my window and drew the outline of the tops of the buildings. I then turned it clockwise.
5. This one was inspired by "Sleeping Woman" done by Man Ray in 1929:
I made it as simple as I could with just two tones. I like the way that it turned out. The figure ground work together really well.

No comments: